Wales Pension Partnership
Joint Governance Committee
To satisfy the Government's requirements to reduce investment related costs, the eight LGPS administering authorities in Wales, including Flintshire County Council, have entered into an Inter Authority Agreement to pool pension fund assets, a key part of which will be done by appointment of an Authorised Contractual Scheme Operator to make the investments on behalf of the administering authorities. This was agreed at the Flintshire County Council meeting on 1st March 2017.
As part of this pooling arrangement, the authorities have also established a Joint Governance Committee with a number of responsibilities including the following:
- Monitoring the performance of the Operator
- Making decisions on asset class sub-funds to be made available by the Operator to implement the individual investment strategies of the eight Funds
- Providing accountability to the participating Funds on the management of the Pool
- Reporting on the Pool to the UK Government and other stakeholders
- Having oversight of an Officer Working Group
Officer Working Group
The Wales Pension Partnership Officer Working Group has been established as part of the Wales Pension Partnership Inter Authority Agreement to support and advise the Joint Governance Committee on such matters as the Joint Governance Committee may reasonably request or any matters relating to the pooling agreement which are raised by any of the authorities' Section 151 Officers or Monitoring Officers.
Each authority delegates to officers to the Officer Working Group. In relation to Clwyd Pension Fund, the Pension Fund Committee determines which of its officers sit on the Officer Working Group. Each authority's Section 151 Officer and Monitoring Officer are entitled to attend the Officer Working Group.