The LGPS is a statutory scheme which is governed by a set of regulations collectively known as the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations. These regulations outline your statutory responsibilities as an LGPS employer.
Your main responsibilities are summarised below:
- Determine the eligibility for Scheme membership of your employees, bringing eligible employees into the LGPS and dealing with optant outs.
- Notify the Clwyd Pension Fund of new pensionable employees.
- Notify the Clwyd Pension Fund of any material changes to pensionable employees.
- Process leavers, including retirements and deaths in service.
- Process ill health cases.
- Provide accurate contribution and membership data when requested, including at the end of year.
- Collect and pay employer and employee pension contributions to the Clwyd Pension Fund.
- Pay AVCs to the appropriate party.
- Make appropriate employer decisions when required and fulfil the employer role within the internal dispute resolution process.
- Prepare, publish and periodically review your Employer Discretions Policy.
These responsibilities are employer dependent and should be met within any agreed timescales, which may originate from the LGPS Regulations; overriding legislation or employer agreed targets.